Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Breezy Batik Dress Refashion


Hey yall, another day another dollar, right? Well when it comes to this dress it is. This is one of the dresses I scored from Thrift Town the other day. As you can see in this “before” picture it was a hot mess.
The cut was wrong; the top part didn’t fit at all I mean I was busting out of that thing! The arm holes were small and it had shoulder pads in it, so I can just guess when it was made. It also had some patch pockets on both sides and I was going to keep them but the hubby was like “you need to take those pockets off” and I was like “No I always need pockets”. So I decided to chop the whole top part off and turn it into another breezy sundress, since its 105 here you can never have enough cool and breezy dresses. First thing rip that whole top part off!

My arsenal: Scissors, seam ripper, some salvaged elastic, pins, navy thread and sewing machine.


After top is taken off


Ok now, then I added the band of elastic and sewed it together to make a circle.


This part of the dress gave me some problems because it was gathered and I didn’t want to undo the gathering because it was convenient (now I wish I undid the gathering it’s a little difficult to take off because it doesn’t stretch because of the strait stitch that holds the gathering together). So pinning it was an issue too because the elastic was tighter than the gathering so I improvised. I pulled out the drawer to my desk and placed the gathered part over it and then slipped the elastic band over that. Then I pulled the fabric down and then up over the elastic and pinned it.



It sufficed and until the pins started to come off while I was sewing, argg!
This it after all the sewing, but when I put it on with a belt I realized that the hubby was right, the pockets had to be taken off they sat right on my hips and made them look even bigger. “How did he know that?” So with my trusty ergonomic seam ripper in hand those babies came off. Now it’s great.

After



The Southern Intitute

Recycled Fashion
Pin It

13 comments:

  1. You look quite lovely in your new fashion you are so talented

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see I'm not the only one that saves and reuses "undie elastic" (^_^)

    Visiting from Make it Monday Linkup,
    Nikell

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol yah and I save the elastic off of the Lindt chocolate boxes too, you can never have too much elastic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, its really cute! Talk about unlocking the potential from a 90's souvenir dress....it is so modern and flattering now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes the pattern was what drew me to it, I really like batik.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great refashion of that dress!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress looks soooooooo much better now that you've refashioned it! Very pretty and a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To let you know I featured your fabulous dress on Recycled Fashion Finds today, thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks all of yall and what and honor @erica

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks A-mazing! What a great way to upcycle an old dress.. the belt looks fabulous!
    Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party! I am your newest follower~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete