Friday, August 24, 2012

Colette Sewing Handbook


So for my birthday I purchased the Colette Sewing Handbook. I’m absolutely in love with this book! I have been sewing on and off for about 4 years now, and I wish this book was around when I started. I have read every sewing book made after 1997 that I have had access to, which is a good amount since I live in a large metropolitan city so I have access to 20+ libraries, and I have my own little library of books that I have purchased at Half Price Books or online. I do have the Burda Style Sewing Handbook also and it’s great but Sarai really went into detail on some aspects of sewing that Burda Style kind of just hinted at and then went on to another subject, like fabric.
Such as the difference in the type of weave of the cloth and then the actual material it’s made of. This is something that I could never really understand, I knew jersey was a knit but I did not know that there was such a thing as silk jersey. And the fact that she showed the difference in photo form was great, as well as the explanation of the drape and weight of a fabric. Now I can look at a pattern and really know what I want to make it out of and know the steps to take if it is not suitable for the material I want to make it out of. She also shared her philosophy on patterns, she states that its good to have one pattern you have protected that you can sew many different times and change the small details and fabric, than it is to have tons of different patterns that are not fitted and altered properly to your body. Which I agree, but since I have Leko digital patterns I can print them in my size so it’s a little easier than your traditional pattern. My only issue with the book is I feel like you need to know about fabric before you need to understand a pattern, but that’s just my opinion. Thank You Sooo much Sarai. This is a must read, and a suggested own.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment